Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mamma's Boy

Starkey argues that Henry VIII was "emotionally dependent on woman" and that's why he was always falling in and out of love with women.

"Unlike most early modern princes the Tudor monarch was brought up in a feminine household and was almost certainly taught to write by his mother, analysis shows. This upbringing shaped Henry's "emotionally incontinent" personality, leading him to fall and love with – and marry – so many women, Starkey claims."

I guess that's one theory. Don't get me wrong, I love David Starkey, but at the same time, sometimes I think he is is full of shit.

I don't know if I buy this theory of his because if Catherine of Aragon just gave him a son, none of the other 5 wives would have happened. I doubt the whole reformation would have gone the way it did if he just had a baby boy to inherit the throne.


Henry VIII emotionally dependent on woman

No comments:

Post a Comment